Wednesday 5 August, 2009

Somdev Devvarman beats Marin Cilic

Aug 5: Somdev Devvarman registered the biggest win of his fledgling career when the wiry Indian upstaged sixth seeded Marin Cilic in straight sets in the second round of the USD 1.4 million Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington.
The Indian qualifier, who lost to Cilic in his maiden ATP final in the Chennai Open earlier this year, took one hour and 42 minutes to sent the Croatian packing 7-5, 6-4 to reach the third round where he would meet either the big-hitting Croatian Ivo Karlovic or German Raine Scheuttler.
"It's definitely the biggest win of my career. He's a great player. He's in top 15 already and on his way to the top 10," Somdev gushed after the win.
"All along I played well. My plan was to compete as hard as possible. I took my chance and I'm proud of the result," said Somdev who saved five of the seven break points that his opponent had.
Cilic had ended Somdev's dream run in January in Chennai, where the 24-year-old had reached his first ATP final with wins over players like Carlos Moya and Ivo Karlovic.
Somdev said he did not have any butterflies in the stomach in the second round match and neither was he out to settle an old score. "It wasn't my first Tour final tonight so I wasn't as nervous going out," said the 153rd-ranked Indian.

No comments:

Post a Comment